Suspected Bondi Shooters Operated Alone and Received No Preparation in the Philippines, Authorities Say.
The two alleged individuals who carried out the lethal shooting at a Hanukkah event on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, are believed to have operated independently, as stated by national authorities.
Authorities further stated that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their itinerary included arriving in the capital Manila before transiting that same day to Davao City. The father and son returned to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Planning During Visit
Authorities indicate the pair did not partake in any form of terrorist instruction or "organizing" during their stay in the Philippines. Initial investigations from local authorities indicate they "hardly ventured out of" their accommodation.
The shooting—labeled as Australia's worst firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally declared a act of terrorism.
"We are actively reviewing the material," she stated, explaining that preliminary assessments show that "these individuals are alleged to have acted alone."
National law enforcement Commissioner Krissy Barrett told media on Tuesday that CCTV footage showing the accused attackers' activities in the Philippines had been submitted to Australian investigators.
"Our investigation shows no evidence to support the idea these suspects were affiliated with a broader network, or were acting on orders from external parties to execute an attack," Commissioner Barrett said.
But, the men were also not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official clarified. She stressed that, as the probe is ongoing, new evidence may come to light.
Motivation and Legal Proceedings
Previously, Australian leader Anthony Albanese commented it appears both accused gunmen were "motivated by Islamic State" ideology.
During the shooting, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by police. He and his son Naveed—both armed with firearms—are accused of having targeted guests at the Hanukkah event.
Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the attack, has been charged with 59 offences. These comprise 15 counts of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is scheduled to appear in court in April.
Immigration Particulars
In the days following the attack, border officials in the Philippines stated that the father had entered the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an Australian passport.
The pair had listed the southern city of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their pre-arranged journey back to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a sprawling urban center on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. The region is known because, Militant militants have been known to be active in less developed parts of southern and western Mindanao.